Broadcasting digitised a couple of decades ago, but the real revolution is yet to come. The market is diversifying and power is shifting between enterprises and viewers like never before. Accessible technologies for creating and distributing content are available to all. Organisations are using data to target viewer consumers in extraordinary ways. Globalisation, liberalisation and massive investment in brilliant content are driving significant change.
Who we are
In a complex and highly-competitive industry, Bird & Bird's international broadcasting team helps clients develop and implement strategies for using content, technology and data to compete for hundreds of billions of dollars of brand money, grow mass subscriber bases and connect brands with consumers. We are retained by household-names, fast-growth disruptors and start-ups - many are key suppliers, content creators and business partners whose innovations enable the industry's leading services.
Knowledge and insight
We provide services and solutions founded on a strong combination of technical excellence and deep industry insight. Our advisers have a special understanding of evolving technologies, business models and the legal and regulatory environments in which our clients operate. Exceptional "how-to" knowledge enables us to structure and deliver complex, often international, transactions and projects. We deploy our significant experience in handling change, fast-growth, media disputes and regulatory interventions to play a vital role in protecting and preserving the value of our clients' businesses.
What we do
- Transactions, projects and transformations – with particular strategic and advisory expertise with entrepreneurial, fast-growth and internationalising businesses
- Media corporate – advisory and delivery of M&A, financing, joint ventures, restructuring
- Specialist advisory and consultancy capability for design and implementation of new services and product innovations
- Media rights and content – strategic and advisory for creation, financing, acquisition, strategies, sophisticated / innovative distribution, with particular expertise in sports media
- Media technology – advisory and consultancy for infrastructure, capacity and telecommunications (including regulatory), new technology and innovation (AI, machine learning, AR, VR and blockchain), outsourcing, technology protection, security
- Data – advisory and consultancy on the compliant use and protection of large volumes of personal data and metadata in media
- Intellectual property – advisory on all aspect of IP in broadcasting and content, including format rights, data rights and broadcasting technology patents
- Broadcast licensing and regulation – advisory in securing licences, jurisdictional issues, compliance and application of regulation to new technologies and models
- Video and broadcast advertising, sponsorship and other commercial content – advisory and consultancy for brands and inventory owners, compliance, innovative techniques and techologies
- Media dispute resolution – advisory for commercial, corporate, intellectual property and regulatory disputes including broadcasting complaints and investigations, anti-piracy and enforcement, handling contentious content including defamation and reputational harm
- People in the broadcast and content industries – full-service HR strategic and advisory support on all people aspects including significant human change
- Competition – law, policy and strategy in the content distribution industries
To learn more about how we can help please get in touch with Richard McMorris.