Bird & Bird LLP has advised the European investment fund Cube Infrastructure Fund II, a fund specialising in infrastructure investments, on the acquisition of a majority stake in the Swiss group Heliot, the exclusive operator of the Sigfox 0G IoT-LPWA network in Switzerland, Austria and Liechtenstein. The Low-Power-Wide-Area (LPWA) wireless communication uses a low-frequency wireless technology for the Internet of Things (IoT), which can transport messages over long distances with low radiation, at low cost and with low battery consumption. This innovative 0G technology offers a sustainable and cost-effective European alternative to the 5G mobile telecommunication standard for certain applications.
As part of the combined transaction, Cube indirectly acquired a strategic majority of 86% of the shares in the companies of the Heliot Group. At the same time, Cube's investment in the Heliot Group enables the Swiss company to acquire Sigfox's 0G network in Germany. This means that the Heliot Group now combines the 0G networks of the four countries Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Liechtenstein, making the Heliot Group the operator of the largest 0G network in Europe. The aim of Cube is to accelerate the growth of this essential and exclusive IoT infrastructure in Europe especially in the DACH region. The parties have agreed not to disclose the purchase price.
Bird & Bird advised on the transaction with teams from Germany and France as well as Slovakia and the Czech Republic. In addition, Bird & Bird coordinated the working groups from Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland and Slovenia. Cube Infrastructure Fund II was advised by the following Bird & Bird lawyers:
- Germany: Partner Dr. Hans Peter Leube, LL.M. (lead), associates Marianne Nawroth, Michael Maier and Tamara Böhmert (all Corporate/M&A, Frankfurt), partner Stephan Kübler, LL.M. (Corporate/M&A, Munich), partner Dr. Peter Veranneman (Corporate/M&A, Düsseldorf), partner Mascha Grundmann (Trademark law, Frankfurt) and associate Julia Präger (Trademark law, Düsseldorf)
- France: Partner Boris Martor, (Regulatory & Administrative) and associates Morgane Basque and Pauline Pilain (both Commercial), all Paris
- Slovakia: Counsel Ivan Kisely (Commercial) and associates Zuzana Jurickova (Finance), Radovan Repa, (Corporate/M&A), all Bratislava
- Czech Republic: Partner Ivan Sagál (Corporate/M&A, Prag)
- Luxembourg: Partner Brent Springael (Brussels/Luxembourg, Real Estate / Tax)
- Certification by a notary public in Frankfurt: Dr. Alexander Haines
- Vienna/Austria: Binder Größwang with Gottfried Gaßner, Mona Holzgruber, Johannes Barbist
- Lausanne, Zurich/ Switzerland: Bianchi Schwald with Hélène Weidmann, Norbert Schenk, Elodie Le Guen
- Ljubljana/ Slowenia: Selih & Partnerji with Špela Remec, Nina Šelih, Nataša Pipan Nahtigal
- Luxembourg: Rutsaert Legal with Quentin Rutsaert, Edouard Guy