In a product's life cycle, each stage may attract specific export controls and sanctions issues - from product development and the sharing of technology, to multinational manufacturing, processing and assembly operations, technology licensing and the final sale to the end-user. Our recognition of the different customs and practices in various industry sectors enables us to identify these issues and provide clear and to-the-point advice.
Our team comprises some of Europe's leading export control experts who have a deep understanding of the relevant European and international regimes. The team also maintains close contacts with the competent authorities in different jurisdictions in Europe regarding the implementation and enforcement of their laws and practical implications.
In addition to EU export controls legislation, the team has experience dealing with the US rules on dual-use items as well as the Export Administration Regulations and International Traffic in Arms Regulations, including their extraterritorial application, enforcement and interaction with EU and EU Member States' laws. Our expertise also includes in-depth coverage of economic and financial sanction regimes imposed by the United Nations and the EU.
Our recent experience includes:
- Advising on compliance with EU export controls and military controls in view of space industry activities and global navigation satellite systems
- Advising on the scope and practical impact of the restrictive measures against Russia and Iran in view of financing and loan arrangements
- Advising on the correlation between US and EU export controls in view of software solutions
- Performing screening assessments of end-use parties and setting in place internal screening mechanisms in view of business with sanctioned countries
- Performing an audit regarding brokering services for export control purposes
- Advising on export control compliance in view of cloud computing
- Liaising with competent export control departments of various European countries and submitting voluntary self-disclosures in the relevant European countries
- Legal representation with regard to export control investigations initiated by competent authorities of different EU Member States
- Drafting and negotiating contractual arrangements with a view to ensuring export control and sanction compliance and risk minimisation
- Providing (on-site) trainings and workshops to create awareness and understanding regarding export controls and sanctions regimes