The third edition of Data Protection Strategy: Implementing Data Protection Compliance, co-authored by Richard Morgan and Co-Head of Bird & Bird's Data Protection Practice Group Ruth Boardman has now been published.
This latest edition provides an up-to-date overview of the GDPR, associated UK legislation (the Data Protection Act 2018) and guidance and cases. It's written for readers who are relatively new to data protection (although we hope it will be useful for more experienced readers too) and takes them through relevant concepts and requirements from first principles. There are also useful precedents and charts.
Here are some of the key features:
- Provides clear analysis of the essentials of the legislation
- Covers the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018
- Examines when personal data – and special categories of personal data – can be processed
- Looks at the key roles in data protection
- Details the consequences of compliance failures, including criminal charges and the Commissioner’s powers, now much enhanced by the GDPR and including a power to impose fines of up to 4% of global revenue
- Outlines the structure of data audits: how to prepare for an audit, the audit itself and its aftermath
- Explains compliance with the new principles of transparency and accountability and the new rules on processing of children’s data
- Looks at technological challenges such as BYOD, cookies, tracking technologies and email monitoring
The book is now available at the Sweet & Maxwell's online store: