The Chambers Global directory has included Bird & Bird in its 2017 analysis of the leading firms globally for "TMT".
Our "pre-eminent" top tier European practice was boosted by the continued development of our highly rated teams across the Asia Pacific and Middle East. We retain our position as one of the leading six firms globally.
Our international client base cuts across all areas of technology, communications and media, and the continued convergence between these sectors. We are proud to represent market-leading companies producing some of the most sophisticated technology in the world.
Selected editorial highlights are listed below. Our full rankings can be viewed here.
Distinguished TMT team respected for its ability to handle a diverse range of matters for prominent technology clients and mobile network operators. Attracts praise for its expertise in joint venture agreements, financings and sector-related M&As, with additional activity in regulatory, licensing and big data. Maintains impressive capabilities in the UK and across continental Europe, with further prowess in parts of Asia and the Middle East.
Based in London, Graeme Maguire heads the firm's global technology and communications practice and remains a key contact for clients.
- Market commentators describe the lawyers as "really knowing the sector well and understanding the market trends."
- Sources laud the team's "extremely strong technology and business know-how."
- Clients glowingly observe that "if you need to reach out to them, they are always there."
Pre-eminent pan-European TMT practice with an outstanding reputation in the IT and telecommunications sectors. Advises a wide range of global clients on regulatory and commercial mandates, with an increasing focus on technology-related disputes, fintech and satellites. Expertise includes cross-border IP, data protection and outsourcing matters, as well as assisting clients in the media sector with investments and the production of content. Excellent network of offices spanning the UK, Netherlands, Spain and Italy.
Phil Sherrell in London, Marjolein Geus in Amsterdam and Benoit van Asbroeck in Brussels are key points of contact.
- Clients praise the firm's service, with one source stating: "My impression of the firm is very positive. The lawyers are customer-oriented, and they are at the cutting edge of TMT thanks to their long-term experience and deep industry knowledge."
- "The firm has lawyers who really know the sector well and understand market trends. You get a well-crafted way forward," say clients.
Highly regarded practitioners offering expertise on transactions and disputes in the technology and telecommunications sectors from offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Singapore and Sydney. Also bolstered by Japan and India desks. Core areas of proficiency include big data, cyber and IT security, mobile payments, robotics and software patentability. Acts for a range of companies from the software security, telematics, telecoms provider and social media sectors.
Located in Sydney, Hamish Fraser heads the Australian information, communications and technology practice. Michelle Chan and Ted Chwu lead the China and Hong Kong practices and Alexander Shepherd is a key contact in Singapore.
- Industry knowledge and the team's ability to tailor advice to its clients' needs is identified by clients who appreciate "clear advice with a clear explanation of the implications and an awareness of risk as it applies to a company of our size in our sector."
- "They are TMT specialists and are very highly regarded."
- "Their lawyers have demonstrated over and over that they have strong business acumen."
- Another source emphasises its expertise in regulatory issues: "They have clear regulatory strength in the TMT space."
International firm with an established TMT practice in the UAE. Assists with a wide range of matters including data protection, regulatory, cloud services and distribution agreements. Provides counsel to international technology corporations.
Anders Nilsson, the firm's Abu Dhabi-based UAE managing partner, is the key contact. Singapore-based Alexander Shepherd has extensive experience in the TMT sector, particularly with regard to technology procurement and regulated outsourcing. He gained a good understanding of the UAE market having previously practised law there.
These rankings continue to demonstrate the strength in depth of Bird & Bird's global team. In November 2016 Bird & Bird came top of the annual analysis by Who's Who Legal of the leading Technology, Communications and Media law firms globally.