Russell specialises in commercial dispute resolution, particularly in the financial services, technology, IT, communications, energy and automotive sectors.
Russell is a senior associate in our Dispute Resolution Group, based in London.
He has wide experience of acting in domestic and cross-border litigation (including the seeking of emergency injunctive relief), arbitration and alternative dispute resolution (including mediation). He frequently advises on complex disputes relating to: (i) commercial contracts in the public and private sectors (including on interpretation, breach, liability, termination and remedies); (ii) risk management; and (iii) governing law/ jurisdiction.
He also has considerable experience in advising on product liability and recall matters (especially in the field of disruptive and autonomous technologies) and insurance policy coverage.
Russell was recognised as a litigation 'Associate to Watch' by Legal Week in 2016.
His recent and notable experience includes:
- acting for an international supplier and technology licensor in a US$34 million breach of contract and negligence claim concerning specialised dehydrogenation technology used at a petrochemical plant in Saudi Arabia (Starr Managing Agents Limited and others -v- (1) UOP Limited (2) UOP LLC [CL-2016-000390]);
- acting for a global investment bank in a US$850 million claim arising out of a loan for a major Portuguese bank that was rescued by the Portuguese central bank (Goldman Sachs International -v- Novo Banco, S.A.  EWHC 2371 (Comm));
- acting for a Swedish state pension fund in a US$35 million claim against an American multinational banking corporation arising out of the acquisition of notes issued by a structured investment vehicle as part of a securities lending programme (Forsta Ap-fonden -v- Bank of New York Mellon & Ors  EWHC 3127 (Comm));
- advising a global defence and systems integration company on disputes arising out of the termination of a series of contracts concerning the delivery and integration of a sophisticated IT system to certain UK emergency services;
- advising a leading technology company in relation to business-critical worldwide recalls of defective batteries and power cords (in over 40 EMEA jurisdictions) as supplied with computer systems;
- advising one of the largest NHS Trusts on a dispute relating to the supply and implementation of an information management solution for the clinical laboratory environment; and
- acting for one of the world's leading bunker brokerages in a multi-party litigation (and arbitration) concerning the quality of marine fuel oil delivered to the 'Marine Prosperity' vessel in Singapore (Bunge, S.A. v Wilhelmsen Marine Fuels AS v ExxonMobil Marine Limited [Claim Nos. 2013 Folio 1087 & 1247]).
Russell has contributed to a number of legal and business publications, including E-Commerce Law & Policy, Corporate Livewire, Global Business Magazine and Data Protection Law & Policy. Russell has also presented on various legal topics including privilege, jurisdiction and governing law, injunctive relief and the litigation process.
Education and admissions:
- The University of Warwick, LLB (Bachelor of Laws), 2006.
- The Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, LPC, 2007.
- Qualified solicitor since 2009.