Russell specialises in commercial dispute resolution, particularly in the banking, financial services, technology, communications and energy sectors.
Russell is a senior associate in our Dispute Resolution Group, based in London.
He has wide experience of acting in domestic and cross-border litigation (including the seeking of emergency injunctive relief), arbitration and alternative dispute resolution (including mediation). He frequently advises on disputes relating to commercial contracts (including construction, breach, termination and liability), governing law/jurisdiction and risk management. He also has considerable experience in advising on product recall and liability matters and insurance policy coverage.
Russell was recognised as a litigation 'Associate to Watch' by Legal Week in 2016.
His recent and notable experience includes:
- acting for a global investment bank in a US$850 million claim arising out of a loan for a major Portuguese bank that was rescrued by the Portuguese central bank (Goldman Sachs International -v- Novo Banco, S.A.  EWHC 2371 (Comm));
- acting for a Swedish state pension fund in a US$35 million claim against an American multinational banking corporation arising out of the acquisition of notes issued by a structured investment vehicle as part of a securities lending programme (Forsta Ap-fonden -v- Bank of New York Mellon & Ors  EWHC 3127 (Comm));
- acting for one of the world's leading bunker brokerages in a multi-party litigation (and arbitration) concerning the quality of marine fuel oil delivered to the 'Marine Prosperity' vessel in Singapore (Bunge, S.A. v Wilhelmsen Marine Fuels AS v ExxonMobil Marine Limited Claim Nos. 2013 Folio 1087 & 1247);
- advising a leading technology company in relation to the worldwide recall of defective batteries and power cords (in over 40 jurisdictions) as supplied with computer systems; and
- acting for an oil producer in defending breach of contract claims arising from the production of oil off the West coast of Africa and supply from a floating production, storage and offloading unit (Vitol SA v VAALCO Gabon Etame Inc Claim No. 2011 Folio 376).
Russell has contributed to a number of legal publications including E-Commerce Law & Policy and Data Protection Law & Policy. Russell has also presented on various legal topics including privilege, juridiction and governing law, injunctive relief and the litigation process.
Education and admissions:
- The University of Warwick, LLB (Bachelor of Laws), 2006.
- The Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, LPC, 2007.
- Qualified solicitor since 2009.