Robert is a commercial lawyer who has expertise in advising in the sports, media and retail industries.
Robert is a Senior Associate in our Commercial group, based in London. Robert can advise on the full range of commercial contracts and, in addition, has the following two areas of specialism.
First, Robert sits in the firm's Media, Entertainment and Sports sector group. He advises on the full range of sports-related commercial and corporate issues, including sponsorship, licensing, image rights, staging agreements, agency agreements, media and broadcasting rights and the provision of special police services. Robert has acted as lead associate on several high profile sports transactions, including:
- acting for Chelsea FC on its new technical partnership with Nike, which is the largest commercial deal in the Club's history;
- acting for Arsenal FC on its record-breaking kit partnership agreement with Puma;
- acting for The Stronach Group on the launch of its UK and international content and wagering rights business for US horse racing and greyhound racing;
- acting for British Cycling on its appointment of HSBC as cycling's lead partner for the next eight years; and
- acting for the RFU on its renewal of O2 as the England Team's shirt sponsor.
Robert provides regular commercial support to a number of Premier League football clubs and sports governing bodies. He has also undertaken various secondments at Arsenal FC (lasting, in total, over 18 months) and a virtual secondment for Chelsea FC.
Secondly, Robert specialises on providing commercial law advice to retail and consumer brands. As well as advising on B2B commercial agreements in these sectors, Robert is an expert on consumer law and advises on the full range of B2C contracts, including website terms, terms of sale for e-commerce platforms, refunds policies for physical retail shops, subscription services for digital content and ticketing terms. Robert's recent experience in this area includes:
- acting for Airbnb on a range of day-to-day commercial transactions, including supplier agreements, consultancy agreements, affiliate agreements, co-promotion agreements and general advertising and marketing advice;
- acting for easyJet on its ticket terms and conditions;
- acting for made.com on its terms and conditions of sale for its online distribution channels;
- acting for ATP Media on the subscription terms for its online streaming platform, TennisTV;
- acting for La Prairie on its online terms and conditions of sale for the sale of products in the UK;
- acting for a number of professional football clubs, including Arsenal FC, Everton FC and Norwich FC, on consumer-facing contracts, such as ticketing T&Cs, membership and hospitality sales and the sale of merchandise.
Robert joined the Commercial group in early 2013, having previously worked on corporate and finance transactions for a Magic Circle firm. He graduated with a First Class BA (Hons) degree in Economics and Politics from Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. He has also completed the BASL Sports Law and Practice post-graduate certificate, run by De Montfort University.