Jeannette has a wealth of experience advising clients on contentious and non-contentious employment issues.
Jeannette is a managing associate in our Asia Pacific Employment practice group, based in Hong Kong. She has close to eight years of dedicated employment experience and specialises in advising on all aspects of day-to-day contentious and non-contentious employment issues and employment-related immigration issues. This includes advising on labour tribunal disputes, investigations and multi-jurisdictional projects involving corporate restructuring, reductions in force and transfer of business.
Recognised as a highly skilled and user-friendly lawyer, Jeannette has established her own unique expertise and client base. She uses her linguistic and cultural skills to guide both Hong Kong and international clients using her fluent English, Cantonese and Mandarin, and she brings a truly international focus to all elements of her practice. Jeannette speaks regularly at both in-house events with clients and externally and she also contributes to many publications. Most recently, co-authoring the 5th Edition of CCH's textbook "Hong Kong Employment Law – A Practical Guide" published in December 2017.
After graduating from the University of Nottingham with a Bachelor degree in Laws in 2006, she gained a Master's degree in law from Tsinghua University and in December 2010 she was admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong.
Selected recent experience includes:
- The go-to external employment legal advisor for an American multinational company providing avionics and information technology systems services to governmental agencies and aircraft manufacturers. Jeannette manages all of the company's Asia Pacific, Middle East and Latin America employment matters, including advising on numerous multijurisdictional projects concerning terms of employment, on-going global post-merger integration and restructuring, works council consultation and policy changes. Her advice often encompasses up to 20+ jurisdictions per project. The most notable recent matters include:
- Reviewing and updating all of their employment contracts, data privacy statements, on-boarding application forms and conflict of interest forms across 25 jurisdictions globally; and
- Advising the company in all labour and employment aspects of the acquisition of an international manufacturer of aircraft passenger cabin interior products, and on the subsequent integration of its employees into the company.
- Responsible for establishing and managing a monthly retainer arrangement with a global print management and marketing company, covering all their employment legal work in 10 Asia jurisdictions including Hong Kong, China, Singapore and Japan.
- Advising a flag carrier airline on the management of cabin crew patterned absences and potential malingering, including the ability to discipline and/or terminate employment taking into account sickness absence, discrimination and mutual trust and confidence issues with the view of potential litigation.