A detailed and practical guide to patents.
- Patent Infringement – Substantive Law
- Biotechnology Patents
- Procedures in Disputes Concerning Patents
- Patent Validity – Substantive Law
- Patents for Chemicals, Pharmaceuticals and Agrochemicals
- Transactions With Patents and With Patent Applications
- Introduction to Patents
- Applying for and Securing the Grant of a Patent
- Patents in Electronics, Communication, Computing and for Business Methods
1. Patent Infringement – Substantive Law
Types of Infringing Acts Claim Interception and the Scope of Protection Defences Remedies for Patent Infringement.
2. Biotechnology Patents
Introduction The ‘Product of Nature’ Issue The ‘Variety’ Issue Ethical Issues Adequacy of Description and Deposit Requirements Infringement Issues
3. Procedures in Disputes Concerning Patents
Types of Dispute Concerning Patents Attacking the Validity of a Patent After Grant The Action for Patent Infringement in England Other Aspects of English Patent Infringement Litigation Patent Litigation in Other European Countries
4. Patent Validity – Substantive Law
Introduction The State of the Art for Novelty and Inventive Step Lack of Novelty (Anticipation) Lack of Inventive Step (Obviousness) Insufficiency Impermissible Amendment.
5. Patents for Chemicals, Pharmaceuticals and Agrochemicals
Introduction Claims in Chemical Patents Claims in Pharmaceutical Patents Validity Issues Infringement Issues Extending Protection for Pharmaceuticals and Agrochemicals to Compensate for Regulatory Delay.
6. Transactions With Patents and With Patent Applications
Types of Transaction Formalities of Such Transactions Patent Licensing Generalities Competition Law Considerations Associated With Patent Licensing Specific Patent Licence Terms – Grant and Scope of Licence Specific Patent Licence Terms – Structuring Payments for the Rights Granted Specific Patent Licence Terms – Other Obligations on Licensee Specific Patent Licence Terms – Obligations on Licensor.
7. Introduction to Patents
Introduction Relationship of Patents to Other IP Rights A Brief History of the Patent System Sources of Current Patent Law in the UK Patents and Patent Applications as Sources of Information.
8. Applying for and Securing the Grant of a Patent
Ownership The Structure of a Patent Specification and its Claims Applying for a Patent in One Country Applying for a Patent Internationally Issue Met in Relation to Patent Applications Matters Occurring After Grant.
9. Patents in Electronics, Communication, Computing and for Business Methods
Introduction Systems and Standards Patents and Computer Programs Business Methods.