The second edition of InnovatingNL, a joint initiative between Bird & Bird, Deloitte and the municipality of The Hague took place on 3 December 2015. As this year's InnovatingNL focused on cybersecurity, we were also partnered by The Hague Security Delta, whose campus provided the location for the event.
Around 150 executives and senior staff from different national and international organisations took the opportunity to learn more about cybersecurity.
Several cybersecurity questions were covered during the event, such as:
- In 2015, how big is the business and legal impact of cyber incidents on your organisation?
- What are the legal obligations of suppliers and users of ICT services regarding security and privacy? Can we, next to fines, also expect raids by regulatory authorities?
- Which cybersecurity and privacy risks are associated with ICT outsourcing?
- What exactly is a trade or business secret, and how can such secrets be protected against cyber risks?
- To which extent can businesses and governmental organisations be held liable for cybersecurity breaches, and can such risks be insured?
All of these issues were discussed during an interactive session led by Ferry Mingelen, a well-known Dutch parliamentary journalist, and were supported by red or green voting cards and throwable microphones which stimulated audience engagement in an innovative way.
The Hague Security Delta's director, Ida Haisma, held a welcome speech. The keynote speaker was Dick Berlijn (former Chief of Staff of the Dutch army and cybersecurity specialist). The panel discussions were led by Bird & Bird and Deloitte. The Bird & Bird session was led by Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa, Marc van Wijngaarden, Gerrit-Jan Zwenne and Ard Jan Dunnik. Deloitte's session was led by Jelle Niemantsverdriet and Niek IJzinga. Additionally, the audience experienced a 'real life' hack by Deloitte.
Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa and Marc van Wijngaarden, co-initiators of InnovatingNL, commented: "We think that this second edition was very successful. We provided executive and senior staff (legal, IT, risk management & compliance) with an interactive platform to discuss the impact of cybersecurity on its business. The set-up of the location (House of Commons-style) resulted in a great and interactive event. We are looking forward to hosting InnovatingNL again in 2016."
One participant said: "This event was a great success, I learned a lot. There are certain topics we have to take into consideration and may even have to take action on".
Another participant commented: "Many thanks for inviting us to your very well organised seminar. Very useful contributions and discussions."
For more information, please contact Evelyn and Marc.