On 14 July 2011 the Hungarian parliament established a new committee to investigate the privatization of Hungarian sugar factories. The committee has 16 members and will meet weekly. It shall deliver a report on the former privatization of twelve Hungarian sugar factories.
The committee will investigate the following issues:
- decisions and agreements in connection with privatization,
- auditing of compliance of purchasers;
- basis and criteria of decisions;
- state and governmental authorities involved in the proceedings;
- liability of former governments;
- reasons resulting that only foreign investors could acquire ownership in the factories;
- consequences of Hungary’s accession to the EU on the proceedings.
The committee was established due to serious increase of sugar prices in Hungary – the price approximately doubled in one year. Currently only one factory produces sugar for the Hungarian market.