eSports – competitive videogaming – has taken both the sport and media industries by storm in recent years. Those operating in this area require an understanding of cutting-edge technology, innovative use of media and the complex framework of sports regulatory and commercial issues that will become increasingly important as the sector continues to develop.
The blend of experience within Bird & Bird's market-leading sport, media and technology practices enables the firm to comprehensively advise clients on the full spectrum of issues that arise within eSports. We frequently advise stakeholders across eSports and a range of other sports (including major games publishers, governing bodies, sponsors, league/event organisers and teams) on issues such as:
- Sports governance, including the drafting of constitutional and regulatory documentation
- Anti-doping and anti-corruption
- Media rights and broadcasting
- Sponsorship and advertising
- Event staging
- Acquisition of sports properties
- Employment issues affecting teams and athletes
- Child welfare and age rating systems
Our Danish team was commended in relation to an eSports project where Bird & Bird "Drew on niche Technology expertise to incorporate professional eSport team Astralis eSport to secure outside investment".
- FT Innovative Lawyers report (2016)