Bird & Bird is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment. It is the policy of Bird & Bird to treat all fairly regardless of:
- race or racial group (including colour, nationality and ethnic or national origins)
- sex (including marital status, gender reassignment, pregnancy, maternity and paternity)
- sexual orientation (including civil partnership status)
- religion, religious belief or similar philosophical belief
The policy applies to every aspect of employment including:
- recruitment and selection
- terms and conditions of employment
- reward and recognition
- promotion and advancement
- learning and development
- organised social events.
Bird & Bird will:
- ensure that no requirement or condition will be imposed or taken into account without legitimate justification which could disadvantage or discriminate against individuals on any of the above grounds
- put appropriate governance in place to ensure that this policy is implemented, developed, communicated and understood throughout the Firm
- communicate that this policy is endorsed and supported by senior management
- monitor and maintain statistics within the Firm’s diverse make up and will make statistics publicly available
- endeavour to establish our Suppliers’ and prospective Suppliers’ attitudes to diversity and will take such attitudes into account when determining which Suppliers to appoint to the Firm.
Primary responsibility for promoting, reviewing and advancing this policy lies with the Diversity Committee.
The Diversity Committee:
- provides quarterly reports to the Executive Committee
- regularly reviews internal procedures
- liaises with Graduate and Trainee Management, Human Resources and Learning and Development on selection processes and development opportunities
- encourages initiatives to foster a culture of diversity within the Firm.
The Diversity Coordinator, reporting to the Diversity Committee is responsible for:
- operational aspects of this policy
- developing initiatives based on best practice
- ensuring that the committee is advised of all aspects of legislation.
All Bird & Bird staff are required to be aware of and act in accordance with this policy and should participate in induction training or internal training programmes.
All staff involved in recruitment and supervision are expected to understand the importance of this policy and actively support the promotion of diversity in the workplace.
Graduate & Trainee Management and Human Resources are responsible for applying this policy throughout all processes.
Learning & Development is responsible for ensuring that appropriate training is available and attendance recorded.
Any failure to comply with the terms of the policy may result in disciplinary action.
Any complaints from individuals experiencing discrimination (direct, indirect or victimisation) should be addressed to either line management or Human Resources and will be dealt with in accordance with Bird & Bird’s Grievance Procedure.