Michael is a projects and regulatory partner within Bird & Bird’s commercial group in London and a member of its Energy & Utilities Sector Group. He advises on UK and international projects for clients in the following sectors:
- Climate change: renewable generation, sustainability projects and climate change regulation
- Electricity: fossil fuel power stations, electricity distribution networks, electricity supply arrangements and electricity regulation
- Oil and gas: upstream arrangements, pipelines, offtake, marketing, storage and transportation agreements and gas regulation
- Water: water infrastructure, hydro power projects, water sustainability and water regulation
- Mining: concession arrangements and mining infrastructure
Michael advises clients on complex and often pathfinder projects in these sectors including advice on optimal corporate and contractual structures and the drafting of agreements such as concession arrangements; agreements for design, construction, operation and maintenance of energy and utility infrastructure; and energy and utility related transportation and supply agreements.
Over the years, his clients have included;
- industrial, commercial and retail consumers, property developers and regeneration authorities looking for innovative solutions regarding procurement of utility infrastructure and flexible utility supply contracts and meeting their climate change objectives including renewable and sustainable technologies
- utilities creating innovative new business streams, such as multi-utility structures, within heavily regulated sectors
- oil and gas companies seeking to find new ways to market and transport petroleum and by products
- government entities seeking to create and implement energy and climate change policy
- financial institutions looking to invest in the energy, mining, infrastructure and climate change sectors
- small to mid-cap companies, such as energy services companies, who are seeking to break into highly competitive markets
- construction companies and consultancies looking to develop new business in the energy, mining, infrastructure and real estate sectors or seeking contract management support
Michael is recommended for water in Legal 500 (2010) and has advised on projects that have won the Guardian Sustainable Business Award, Energy (2011), the Combined Heat and Power Association Community and Residential Award (2009) and the Australasian Legal Business Infrastructure Deal of the Year Award (2005).
Internationally, Michael has spoken and/or chaired at energy, water, climate change and mining events in Australia, Africa, the CIS and Europe and has been a guest lecturer for the Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy, University of Dundee Oil and Gas week (2010) and Curtin University’s Engineering and Professional Studies Programme (2004).
Michael and his colleague, Matt Bonass, a co-editors of ‘Renewables: A Practical Handbook’ published by Global Law and Business.