The Bird & Bird Associates would like to invite you to the first In Focus seminar in the Bird & Bird Associate Lecture Series for 2011.
This seminar will be split into two sessions which will be run simultaneously. The IP session will look at the crossover between competition law and IP rights. The Commercial session will consider the legal issues behind bringing your goods and services to market.
The seminars are aimed at those equivalent to Associate level who are in-house counsel who practice either IP and/or commercial law on a daily basis or who work in relevant fields of industry or those who seek to be aware of commercial/IP issues.
We hope you can join us.
For further information, or to register to attend this seminar please contact the Events Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)20 7415 6000.
17.30 - 18.00
Registration and refreshments
18.00 - 18.05
Welcome and introduction
18.05 - 19.00
The following sessions will be run simultaneously. Please choose which session you would like to attend when registering for the seminar:
IP session: A War of Two Worlds - IP versus Competition
A high level overview of the crossover between competition and IP law focusing on recent European Commission and European court practices in the Life Sciences and TMT sectors.
- Is there a war? A look at Competition law and its effect on IP rights
- TMT: Microsoft, interoperability - a step in the wrong direction?
- Life Sciences: sector inquiry, dawn raids - abusive use of the patent system?
Adrian Howes (Chair)
Commercial session: A Matter of Principal - Agency, Distribution and Getting Your Product to Market
A review of the legal issues behind bringing your goods and services to market including considering the key competition, product liability and jursidictional issues affecting businesses operating in different jurisdictions.
- How can I get my products/services to the customer? - A review of the key features of agency and distribution arrangements.
- Cross-border trade? Not on those terms! - Issues to be considered when negotiating and drafting multi-jurisdictional business contracts.
- Total recall ... - A study into the lifecycle of a product recall - what you should do when you have placed a potentially defective product on the market.
- Managing your sales team from a competition perspective - An overview of the types of issues faced by sales teams doing business in the EU together and how best to ensure compliance with competition law.
Drinks and canapés