Our International Banking and Finance Group has wide ranging expertise in both domestic and international work, acting for commercial banks, international development banks, investment banks, funds, multilateral banks and other financial institutions from around the World.
We also advise many corporate borrowers and lessees on their finance transactions, drawing, where necessary, on our in-depth knowledge and understanding of particular sectors such as communications, sport, aviation and aerospace.
Our teams of specialist lawyers in each of our offices across Europe, the Middle East and Asia advise on the structuring, documentation and negotiation of a wide range of banking and finance-related matters.
We have a well-earned reputation for client service, combining technical expertise with tenacity, strong commercial instincts, a flexible attitude and a dedication to ensuring that the deal gets done.
We provide expertise in all the following areas:
- acquisition finance
- asset-based lending / finance leasing
- cross-border secured lending
- electronic money and payment systems
- Islamic finance
- project finance (including PFI, PPP, telecoms and other infrastructure projects)
- real estate finance
- regulation of financial services (including compliance and AML issues)
- structured finance
We are also expert in dealing with financial disputes (in particular in relation to derivatives and structured products), restructuring, insolvency, enforcement and asset recovery.
Heads of Group: Trystan Tether in London and Raimondo Maggiore in Milan.
Recent highlights of work
We have recently assisted:
● an International Development bank with its first commercial loan in Egypt in connection with a debt and Islamic-finance funded project to build and operate a new factory to produce white-goods for North Africa
● a club of Indian banks in connection with a INR 1.2 billion cross-border secured financing of an aerospace group
● a financier on its project finance for UK solar photovoltaic parks
● an International Development Bank and the loan participants in the complex restructuring of the senior and mezzanine financing of a EUR 100 million shopping and leisure complex in South East Europe
● in structuring a security package from companies across several European jurisdictions for financings to group company borrowers in the US, Germany, the UK and the Netherlands
● a well-known international provider of payment services on the terms and conditions for the issue within the UK of pre-paid debit card
● numerous airlines/internet portals/retailers on merchant acquisition arrangements with all main service providers
● banking and financial institutions on the implementation of the MiFID rules and ESMA guidelines and the related updating of their internal procedures
● banks on the drafting of their AML manuals and establishment of AML Departments
● asset management firms on the implementation of the organisational and administrative models of their UCITS funds, the underlying investment agreements and marketing materials
“[A] very user-friendly firm, and they are also very responsive. I don’t only mean that in terms of timing, but also in terms of our needs…they are responsive in the sense that they can do things in different ways; they don’t have an inflexible attitude.”
Client feedback 2013
“It provides responsive, detailed, thorough advice, delivered with a businesslike approach.”
Chambers Europe 2012
“The firm’s expertise spans complex finance structures, acquisition finance and syndicated lending, as well as significant sector specialisms in technology and telecoms.”
Chambers UK 2012